NRS437V Week 3 DQ 1
Uustal (1993) proposed a decision-making model that provides concrete steps in which to arrive at a morally acceptable solution when faced with an ethical dilemma. What type of ethical dilemma have you encountered in the clinical setting? How can the decision-making model identified by Uustal be applied to this situation? Be specific when describing each of the nine steps.
NRS437V Week 3 DQ 2
How do a nurse’s fundamental duties, as described by the Hippocratic Oath and Nightingale Pledge, influence a nurse’s practice and decision-making?
NRS437V Week 3 Assignment Applying Ethical Frameworks in Practice
Using the steps outlined in the decision-making models in your readings, select one ethical decision-making model and use the model to analyze the case provided.
A 6-year-old develops a high fever accompanied by violent vomiting and convulsions while at school. The child is rushed to a nearby hospital. The attending physician makes a diagnosis of meningitis and requests permission to initiate treatment from the parents. The child’s parents are divorced. The mother, who is not the biological parent of the child, has primary custody. She is a Christian Scientist who insists that no medical treatment be offered for religious reasons. The biological father, who resides in another state, is also contacted. He insists that treatment be given and seeks independent consultation from another physician. See also NRS 437V Week 1
In a formal, written paper of 800-1,200 words, answer the following questions:
1. What is the ethical dilemma here?
2. Describe the decision-making model you selected from your readings.
3. How would you resolve this dilemma using the model?
4. Include, at the end of your paper, a 200-word dialog in which you explain your decision to the family. (Remember to use language that the family would understand).
- A minimum of three references must be used.
- Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
- Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center. Only Word documents can be submitted to Turnitin.